New Building Progress!
After analyzing the results from almost 200 surveys and receiving positive responses from our stakeholders, the Board of Trustees voted unanimously to move forward with a feasibility study. This study will estimate the costs involved in the project and provide potential building designs.
The company we have decided to work with is Nabholz, inc. Nabholz is experienced in the unique challenges of museum buildings and, interestingly, several team members have Volga German heritage! The team visited ECHS on March 25 to learn about our site, go over display and storage requirements, and to speak with the board and staff.
Our need for a new building is based on practicalities, financial realities, and industry standards. Due to the special requirements of building and storage material, climate control specifications, and other steps that need to be taken in order to preserve our artifacts and exhibits, we’ve found it prudent to look into a building that meets all of our needs.
ECHS owns the block of 7th Street from Main (our current location) all the way to Fort Street, north of the alley. This means we have room to build at the western end of our property. If we decide to move forward with a new building after the study is completed, staying on our current campus would enable us to continue the use of the Volga German Haus, the harness shop, and the Fire Department Museum.
Please let us know if you have questions, feedback, or would like to be involved in the project!